Belgium is famed for itsfrites (fries), and the Frietmuseum in Bruges pays homage to this quintessential—and delicious—national dish. Founded in 2008, it claims to be the world’s only museum dedicated to potato fries and offers visitors the chance to learn about the history of the ever-popular snack.
Made up of three parts spread across its three floors, the Frietmuseum displays such objects as historical potato peelers and fry-making machines. Presenting information via interpretation boards and films, the first section explains the 10,000-year history of the potato and how it traveled from Peru to Europe and Belgium. Next comes the history of fries, as well as tips on how to best prepare them and the different kinds of sauces to serve with them. Finally, visitors can sample fries, as well as typical Belgian meat dishes such as meatballs and beef stew, in the museum café.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Frietmuseum is a must-visit for foodies and families.
The museum is wheelchair-accessible.
Special rates are available for groups of 15 or more.
How to Get There
The Frietmuseum is located on Vlamingstraat in the center of Bruges, within a short walking distance of such other top attractions as Historium Brugge and the Bruges Beer Experience. From the main train station, buses 4, 13, and 14 all run to the museum.
When to Get There
The museum is open every day from midmorning to late afternoon. It is closed on December 25, January 1, and during the second week of January. Give yourself around 45 minutes to explore the whole museum.
The museum occupies the Gothic-style Saaihalle, a former weavers’ hall dating from 1399. The building has also served as the residence of the Consul of Genoa, and as an inn, café, cinema, and dancehall. The Saaihalle retains many original 14th-century details, and its facade is engraved with the oldest date of any building in Bruges.
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in South Holland
- Choco-Story, the Chocolate Museum
- Historium Brugge
- Historic Centre of Bruges (Historisch Centrum van Brugge)
- Bruges Beer Museum (Brugs Biermuseum)
- Belfry of Bruges (Belfort van Brugge)
- Basilica of the Holy Blood (Heilig-Bloedbasiliek)
- Burg Square
- Bruges City Hall (Stadhuis van Brugge)
- Canals of Bruges (Brugse Reien)
- Jerusalem Church (Jeruzalemkerk)
- Lace Centre & Museum (Kantcentrum)
- Church of Our Lady (Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk)
- Old St. John Site (Site Oud Sint-Jan)