Calis Beach (Calis Plaji)
Sun-seekers come to Calis to lounge on the sandy shores, explore the Calis Beach Bird Sanctuary, and spot Loggerhead turtles during the summer nesting period. Swimming at Calis Beach is best suited for strong swimmers, while the high winds make it popular for windsurfing and kitesurfing—a number of places along the beach teach classes and rent equipment. Families with kids can also head to the beachside Sultans Aqua City water park.
Things to know before you go
- Calis Beach has all the amenities you would expect from a busy beach resort and the beachfront is lined with hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, and shops.
- The beach is free, but many of the beachfront restaurants and bars reserve areas of the beach for their guests and provide sun loungers, parasols, and tables.
- The broad beachside promenade and ramps make access easy for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to get there
Calis Beach lies about four miles (seven kilometers) north of Fethiye Old Town. Minibuses run to the beach from the Old Town dolmus station in about 20 minutes. Alternatively, it’s about a 15-minute drive or taxi ride. Water taxis also cruise up to the beach from Fethiye Harbor in about 40 minutes.
When to get there
Summer afternoons see the beach packed with locals. Arrive early to secure a parasol or table at one of the beachside restaurants. Stick around to watch the sunset and sample the nightlife—the beachfront bars and nightclubs stay open until the early hours, especially on summer weekends.
Beaches Around Fethiye
Fethiye makes a strategic base from which to explore the sun-soaked shores of Turkey’s Turquoise Coast. Beaches nearby include the tranquil waters of Ölüdeniz Beach and the Blue Lagoon; the sheltered gorge of the Butterfly Valley, where you can spot hundreds of rare butterflies; and Kidrak Beach, with calm waters ideal for swimming and snorkeling. North of Calis Beach, Karaot beach sits at the mouth of Akgol Lake and is a popular destination for bird watchers.
- Fethiye Old Town (Paspatur)
- Fethiye Museum (Fethiye Muzesi)
- Gulf of Fethiye (Fethiye Körfezi)
- Fethiye Lycian Stone Sarcophagi
- Fethiye Roman Theater (Telmessos Theatre)
- Ölüdeniz Beach and Blue Lagoon
- Gemiler Island (Gemiler Adasi)
- Butterfly Valley (Kelebekler Vadisi)
- Saklikent National Park (Saklikent Milli Parki)
- Fethiye Lycian Rock Tombs (Tomb of Amyntas)
- Dalyan Mud Bath
- Patara Beach (Patara Plaji)