Fethiye Roman Theater (Telmessos Theatre)
Hidden away in a hillside enclave just behind Fethiye Harbor, the Fethiye Roman Theater (Telmessos Theatre is one of the last remaining traces of the ancient Lycian city of Telmessos. Dating back to the 2nd century BC and once seating up to 6,000; the theater is currently undergoing extensive restoration work.
Views of the ancient theater can be admired from the surrounding hillside and sightseeing tours of Fethiye often include a stop at the historic site. Ongoing restoration works mean that access to the site itself is limited and the original ruins are now largely covered by the modern reconstruction. Combine a visit with a walking tour of Fethiye Old Town, where highlights include the shopping streets of Paspatur, filled with traditional shops and cafés; the Fethiye Museum; and the Fethiye Fish Market.
Things to know before you go
- Fethiye Roman Theater is currently undergoing reconstruction; plans are underway to host open-air concerts and events at the venue.
- There are a number of restaurants and cafés close to the ruins of the theater.
- Uneven ground and steps mean that the theater is not easily accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to get there
Fethiye Roman Theater lies just south of the harbor; a 2-minute walk from the waterfront.
When to get there
Entrance times for the Fethiye Roman Theater vary depending on the reconstruction work taking place; it’s best to inquire locally about possibilities.
Fethiye Lycian Rock Tombs
Travelers interested in Fethiye’s ancient Lycian history won’t want to miss a visit to the city’s most impressive ancient site. Dating back to 350 BC the Fethiye Lycian Rock Tombs are a series of ancient tombs carved into the cliffsides above the town. Climbing the hillside trail passes a number of different tombs, thought to have belonged to Lycian rulers or noblemen, but the most impressive is the grand Tomb of Amyntas. Reached by a flight of 296 rocky steps, the hilltop tomb is flanked by Ionic-style columns and affords magnificent views over Fethiye, the coast, and even the Greek island of Rhodes on a clear day.
- Gulf of Fethiye (Fethiye Körfezi)
- Fethiye Lycian Stone Sarcophagi
- Fethiye Old Town (Paspatur)
- Fethiye Museum (Fethiye Muzesi)
- Calis Beach (Calis Plaji)
- Ölüdeniz Beach and Blue Lagoon
- Gemiler Island (Gemiler Adasi)
- Butterfly Valley (Kelebekler Vadisi)
- Saklikent National Park (Saklikent Milli Parki)
- Patara Beach (Patara Plaji)
- Fethiye Lycian Rock Tombs (Tomb of Amyntas)
- Dalyan Mud Bath