Ölüdeniz Beach and Blue Lagoon
Sunseekers arrive in droves to lounge on Ölüdeniz’s sandy shores, swim and snorkel, or paddle around the lagoon in a kayak or pedal boat. The area has two main public beaches—Belcekız, which fronts the Mediterranean, and Kumburnu, looking out onto the Blue Lagoon—as well as a number of private ones. Once you’ve had your beach fix, hop on a boat tour from Belcekız Beach to check out the coves, beaches, and islands along the coast. Most popular is a cruise to Butterfly Valley (Kelebekler Vadisi), a narrow beachside gorge known for its thousands of rare, colorful butterflies.
Adventurous travelers might opt to go scuba diving off Ölüdeniz, or paragliding at Babadağ Mountain. Ölüdeniz is also the starting point for the Lycian Way, a long-distance coastal hiking trail running from Fethiye to Antalya.
Things to know before you go
- There’s a fee to access Kumburnu Beach and many other beaches within Ölüdeniz Natural Park. Belcekız Beach, however, is free.
- Restaurants, bars, and hotels line Belcekız Beach, while Kumburnu Beach has a few beachside cafés and food kiosks. In high season, umbrellas and deck chairs are available for rent at both beaches.
- With calm, shallow waters, the lagoon beaches are the best choice for families.
How to get there
Ölüdeniz Beach lies about 9 miles (15 kilometers) south of Fethiye. Buses run regularly between the two towns, or you can take a taxi—roughly a 20-minute ride.
When to get there
Ölüdeniz Beach and environs can get crowded, particularly on summer weekends. Stick around until sunset to watch the paragliders set off from the top of Babadağ Mountain, then grab dinner at one of the waterfront eateries.
Other beaches around Fethiye
True beach lovers will find even more to explore around Fethiye. The pine-fringed beach of Kidrak is a top spot for families. Calis Beach is the closest resort to Fethiye, with pebbly shores affording views of the surrounding islands—while farther north, Karaot Beach lies at the mouth of Akgöl Lake, a prime place for bird-watching.
- Gemiler Island (Gemiler Adasi)
- Butterfly Valley (Kelebekler Vadisi)
- Fethiye Roman Theater (Telmessos Theatre)
- Fethiye Lycian Stone Sarcophagi
- Gulf of Fethiye (Fethiye Körfezi)
- Fethiye Museum (Fethiye Muzesi)
- Fethiye Old Town (Paspatur)
- Calis Beach (Calis Plaji)
- Saklikent National Park (Saklikent Milli Parki)
- Patara Beach (Patara Plaji)
- Fethiye Lycian Rock Tombs (Tomb of Amyntas)
- Dalyan Mud Bath