Peggy Guggenheim Collection (Collezione Peggy Guggenheim)
Peggy Guggenheim, an important New York art collector who spent the last 30 years of her life in Venice, amassed an important collection of early 20th-century European and American art. Upon her death in 1979, her home on the Grand Canal, Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, became the Peggy Guggenheim Collection museum. The palazzo and sculpture garden include works by such artists as Picasso, Kandinsky, Magritte, Dalí, Calder, Giacometti, Marini, and Pollock.
Because of the scope and importance of the collection, it’s best to visit as part of a Peggy Guggenheim Collection guided tour, or take an after-hours private tour to enjoy the art without the crowds.
Things to Know Before You Go
In addition to the permanent collection, the museum also hosts temporary exhibitions and retrospectives.
Photography (without flash) is allowed inside the museum and sculpture garden.
Both the museum and garden are accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
The museum has a shop and a café serving lunch and snacks.
How to Get There
The easiest way to reach the Peggy Guggenheim Collection is by water: take vaporetto 1 or 2 to the Accademia stop.
When to Get There
Palazzo Venier dei Leoni was retrofitted as a museum after Peggy Guggenheim's death, so the rooms are small and the collection is best viewed early in the day before the crowds arrive. The museum is open daily except Tuesdays.
The Guggenheim Museums
Before her death, Peggy Guggenheim donated her palazzo and art collection to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, created by her uncle in 1937. It was this same uncle who commissioned New York's famous spiral-shaped Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in the 1950s.
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Treviso
- Things to do in Padua
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Accademia Bridge (Ponte dell'Accademia)
- Church of San Vidal (Chiesa di San Vidal)
- Venice Music Museum (Museo della Musica)
- Church of Santa Maria del Giglio (Santa Maria Zobenigo)
- Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute
- La Fenice Opera House (Teatro La Fenice)
- Venice Santa Lucia Station (Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia)
- Venice Accademia Gallery (Gallerie dell'Accademia)
- Ca' Rezzonico
- Bovolo Staircase (Scala Contarini del Bovolo)
- St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco)
- San Gallo Theater (Teatro San Gallo)
- Campo San Luca
- St. Mark's Clock Tower (Torre dell'Orologio)